Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Nii - Part.1

Nii, reporting in. Late. What was this a homework assignment? More widely known as Soul Shinobi on almost every Subaru forum (and just about everyplace else on the net since I was 12), offline I'm J. Nicholas "Nick" Sarris, or more affectionately, Nii (said nee).

With a passion for driving feel and the pleasant sensations associated, I frown on heavy aesthetic and even more function modification (if not everything). I started off lowly, driving my father's Mercury Mountaineer, and not to let any vehicle live below its potential I'd gladly pull U-turns over medians in the snow, and get it stuck off road, and get the truck I was trying to rescue it with stuck, and putting off telling my father until the next day, and having to pay a tow company $300 to nearly get their trucks stuck. What were we talking about?

Well then, my first real car, a 1992 Subaru Legacy L AWD 5MT purchased from a friend's family for the cost of the brake work that it needed. With no rear stabilizer bar to speak of, I could still get it to oversteer with just strut tower braces (eBay special) and weight shift technique the car so thoughtfully taught me. It certainly had more guts than the Mercury, and has been responsibly for at least two snow/mud rescues of squarebush (in a Mercedes Diesel wagon, and no less than a 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback). Like every car I've owned since, I fell in love with it, because I'm just naïve like that. I'd like to tell you it's still with me, and if I had the room it would be. I know it tried its best, it really did, but fate was cruel to it, and our home owner's association crueler still.

Lovingly adorned with fiberglass and body filler, as well as the cheapest fog lights money could buy.


The grounding kit helped, I swear. Notice the recess where an ABS unit should be. This car was a fine learning experience.



Detailed with q-tips and toothpicks. I rebuilt the tan vents by hand, as individual blades would break loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment