Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chassis Rigidity is God

Tired of a soft, uncommunicative, and unresponsive rear end, I finally caved and bought the rear strut brace I wanted for my '98 Legacy wagon.  I could have gone with a sedan brace from eBay intended for the rear of a second generation Impreza since the bolt pattern is the same and the price is right, but opted for the pricier Whiteline unit for its rigid bracket design and quick-release option (also intended for the Impreza since it was easier to find cheaper than the Legacy version; can't imagine what's different).

Clean install, took about an hour.


I had forgotten the reduction and body roll and improvement in steering precision I felt when I installed my front strut brace a while ago.  The difference the rear brace made was astonishing--to think chassis flex alone was causing all my problems blew my mind.  The rear no longer lurches to the outside of the corner slowly telling me nothing about traction; I now have an idea where the rear wheels are to a few inches, rather than guessing in terms of feet.  For must-have mods, Chassis Rigidity is God.

Discrete, and all my junk still fits.

2 comments:

  1. Would it be worthwhile to get strut bars for the winter? Or just wait til summer. Never driven a car before and after strut braces to fully understand how big a difference would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say strut braces are always worth it... it really isn't a seasonal thing you worry about. You just want them in your car. The front helps turn in and the rear gives you a little more oversteer but it depends on your sway bar too.

    ReplyDelete