Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Unequal Length Headers

So the other day Yint and I decided to put on my unequal length headers. My car is a Phase II 2.5 N/A swap, in a 97 Impreza L. Since the engine and exhaust are out of an '02, they don't exactly fit in perfectly, however, we made it work. I had to have Yint and his dad design and fab' up some custom exhaust spacers to fit the exhaust properly.

Although some people say that the unequal headers are only good for sound, and they do very poor for performance, I chose to go with them anyways. I was tired of people telling me that my car sounded like a Honda. I picked up the set of headers from a friend, and proceeded to put them on.

First off, was getting my car to a place where I could work on it. I don't have a license right now, so Yint and Squarebush had to come get me, haha. We went over to the parts store to get a new gasket. It turns out that the gasket for the exhaust is tiny, so we decided to make our own out of a slightly bigger gasket. We went over to Yint's place and started working.

Getting the exhaust off was a breeze, seeing as how the exhaust has been on and off five or six times in the last couple of months. Now, taking the exhaust apart was another story... To get the bolts off of the exhaust was murder. Anyone who works on cars knows that when a bolt has sat under a car for a long time it tends to get rusty. We ended up breaking both of the bolts that hold the headers to the first cat' like they were nothing.

So after getting a new set of hardware, we were able to start putting the exhaust back together. Getting the exhaust back on was no easy feat. We had to bolt up one side on first and actually spread the sides apart so we could bolt up the second side. I ended up dropping the exhaust on my face. After we were done it was the moment of truth... How would it sound... DAMN! It had an exhaust leak, so back under I went. It just turned out to be one of the bolts was loose. So I tightened it down, and it was time for round two.

'Car started up, and sounded amazing! We took it for a ride around the block to make sure nothing was wrong. Everything checked out, and the exhaust was done. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment